Friday, March 9, 2012

Stress, Studying, Sweet Cravings and Sparkpeople!



    So....here we are! Spring Break has arrived and you would think that would mean it was time to relax.....but alas, no.
As it stands, I have 3 midterms within the first week after returning from spring break.
   So, with that in mind, this week has been about studying, studying and more studying. And what does one want more than anything when they are studying??? SWEETS!!
      Since my decision to join Sparkpeople a couple of weeks ago, things have been going great. I have never been more confident in my life that this is really going to be a permanent change for the better. In week one, I lost 5 lbs!! I was so proud. I knew it wasn't water weight either because I had begun the healthy lifestyle change back over a month ago when I began training for the Disney Princess 5k race, but I had never stepped on the scale. The truth is, I have no idea how many pounds I may have lost before I began tracking everything.
     Alas, as I have sat studying, sweets have been calling my name. Suzi....Suzi....you really want to come to the cupcakery and buy me!! Damn Cupcakes! NO I DON'T WANT YOU! I would just keep screaming that out in my head. So what do you do??
    I took to the fridge knowing I needed to find something to stiffle the screams. And FRESH FRUIT became the answer. It's healthy and yet contains that sugar for which my cravings were calling. Also, I went out to the store this week and obtained some low calorie alternatives to the traditional sweet "pig-out". There are so many options out there from portion controlled 100 calorie packs to Weight Watchers Smart One Desserts that are delicious and under 200 calories. Skinny cow has the ice cream arena covered as well. If you are willing to look, there is very little that a person wanting to lose weight can't find to help cut calories.
     For those in need of a salty savior.....check out the "Baked" line by Frito Lay. They have baked Lays (even flavors & Ruffles), baked tostitos, baked cheetos and doritos. They make the impossible for a dieter, possible. With the help of all the available low cal, healthy products out there, I have successfully managed to stick to my diet regardless of the stress hanging over my head.
     Another way great way I have found to deal with the stress of midterms is exercise. Spending a couple of days a week at the gym as well as taking some long walks has done wonders for both my waistline and my stress level. So remember, "sparkpeople" or people losing weight and staying healthy....exercise works two-fold.
     For those interested in a career as a paralegal, let me tell you that it is not for the faint of heart or the weak in ambition, but it is totally worth the hard work when you get those good grades on your papers and exams. It is the reason I work so hard.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment